We’ve all seen the forecast for tomorrow and Monday. Cold (really cold) and snow (a lot of it)! Are you ready? Read on for this easy furnace maintenance checklist.
First a confession: I love cold weather. I mean really cold. It looks like we are in the path of some interesting and really cold stuff–history making. You don’t want the furnace going out in these kind of bitter temps. A few easy tips to be sure your furnace is ready for the next few days.
- Look at your furnace filter. If it looks the least bit dirty change it today. A dirty filter is responsible for so many furnace problems. Don’t risk it with sub-zero temps coming.
- Some furnaces have door safety switches that can create a heating call-in. If you have to take the door off to get to the filter then make sure the door switch is pushed in when you put the door back on.
- Make sure the thermostat is on. This sounds simple, but it happens a lot. The switch gets turned off and homeowners forget. Then they call for help and the answer was that easy.
- If you have a PVC vented furnace most times they come out the back or side of the home…these have to remain clear from leaves and snow. With all this snow coming the outside PVC pipe or pipes could get covered up. Keep those pipes clear. Best to head outside this afternoon to be sure you’re set.
- Finally—a shameless plug. If you find yourself in need of a new furnace, we have a great offer- a $2,014 furnace in 2014. CLICK HERE to learn more.
We’re available 24-7 if you find yourself in need of assistance in the next 24-72 hours.
I’ll be back with more hints for a healthy furnace.